I don’t remember where this idea came from, I’m sure I adapted it from something. It sounds like a fun exercise to do and one you shouldn’t need a therapist for afterwards. I love my example. It would be the same choice today – 12 years later.
I was on one of those Question and Answer sites and someone wrote they “didn’t have a personality”, they were bored with life, and they worried about growing old in the same boring way.
I decided to answer. (You might even want to try this little technique when you are feeling bored and out of sorts with life.)
“Well, this kinda sounds like good news.” I wrote. “You don’t have a personality at the moment, so you can create the one of your choice. It is always easier to start from scratch than to try to revise one."
And then I listed the steps:
- Go to the store or library and pick out your favorite magazine – if you don’t have a favorite, just pick one with pretty colours and a glossy finish.
- Sit down and start reading.
- What do you see in there that appeals to you?
- Start writing a list of interesting people and things to do. Once you have got a page full of ideas you can start on your journey.
- Pick 3 ideas. Either because they appeal to you more than the others or by randomly putting your finger on three.
- Underline them.
Here is an example.
I identified Princess Diana, Brad Pitt and an article about dogs. Something about those three items appealed to me. What were they?
- For me, I would say that I liked Princess D’s style and caring for people. I liked that she was a classy lady and she was a ‘do-gooder’.
- Brad Pitt is just plain sexy and is very competent in his work and is making a difference in the world by helping out all these little children he is adopting remember this was written in 2009).
- Dogs always love you and they are fun.
I like helping people, acting classy, being good at what I do, and I like to be loved unconditionally.
I like to have fun even though I am not much of ‘a chase after the ball’ kind of person.
Yes, I got all that out of thinking about why I liked the things I listed.
You can do that too.
Now, think about ways you could become the person you have just written about.
In my case, I could read up on who needs help in my community and get involved. Then I would probably make friends and I would have something to talk to other people about because I have been doing something. I know that I love dogs and perhaps I might even volunteer at a dog shelter. Or maybe just find other people who like dogs and talk to them about dogs.
Do you see what I mean? You can create a whole new wonderful personality and I don’t think you will be bored for a minute.
Good luck and have fun! Go out and shine!!!! Whooo Hooooo!!!!!
Originally written January 31, 2009 Updated: November 7, 2020